War crimes

FILE - In this Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, file photo, former Israeli Chief of Staff Benny Gantz speaks at the official launch of his election campaign in Tel Aviv, Israel. Gantz, the leading challenger to Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said in a published interview Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019, that Israel should "find a way" to end its control over the Palestinians. (AP Photo/Oded Balilty)
February 11, 2019 - 7:37 am
JERUSALEM (AP) — The Israeli Justice Ministry on Monday said the government has asked a Dutch court to dismiss war crimes allegations against Benny Gantz, an ex-military chief who is challenging Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in April elections. A Dutch-Palestinian man originally from the Gaza...
Read More
January 22, 2019 - 5:58 pm
SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Navy officer who supervised a SEAL accused of fatally stabbing an Islamic State prisoner in Iraq in 2017 was charged Tuesday with various offenses tied to the case, including allegations he conducted the SEAL's re-enlistment ceremony next to the corpse and encouraged enlisted...
Read More
January 13, 2019 - 12:58 pm
PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) — Kosovo's prime minister met Sunday with two fellow former fighters in a bloody war for independence from Serbia two decades ago who are preparing to be questioned by prosecutors for a special war crimes court. Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj's Facebook page showed photos...
Read More
FILE - This 1949 photo provided by the U.S. Department of Justice shows a U.S. visa photo of Jakiw Palij, a former Nazi concentration camp guard who has been living in the Queens borough of New York. German media report that Jakiw Palij, a former Nazi concentration camp guard who spent decades leading an unassuming life in New York City until his past was revealed, has died. The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and Westfaelische Nachrichten newspapers quoted German officials on Thursday confirming that Palij, who was deported to Germany in August, died in a care home in the town of Ahlen. He was 95. (US Department of Justice via AP, file)
January 10, 2019 - 1:21 pm
BERLIN (AP) — Jakiw Palij, a former Nazi concentration camp guard who lived an unassuming life in New York City for decades until his past was revealed and he was deported to Germany last year, has died, German media reported Thursday. He was 95. The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and Westfaelische...
Read More
December 19, 2018 - 6:57 am
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — A former Bosnian army commander pleaded not guilty to charges of war crimes against civilians and prisoners of war during the country's brutal 1992-95 war. Atif Dudakovic appeared before the Bosnian court on Wednesday. Fifteen others indicted with Dudakovic also...
Read More
December 18, 2018 - 6:23 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch Supreme Court has upheld the war crimes conviction of a timber dealer who was found guilty last year of selling arms to former Liberian leader Charles Taylor and of complicity in war crimes committed by Taylor's forces in Liberia and Guinea from 2000 to 2003...
Read More
December 12, 2018 - 8:56 am
TIRANA, Albania (AP) — Kosovo's prime minister said Wednesday that former independence fighters should not humiliate Kosovo by hiding, impeding or avoiding justice. Ramush Haradinaj, himself a former commander of the 1998-99 war for independence against Serbia, wrote on Facebook that the struggle...
Read More
FILE - In this June 1, 2011 file photo, former Bosnian wartime commander of Srebrenica, Naser Oric, talks to The Associated Press in Sarajevo, Bosnia. A Bosnian appeals court on Friday, Nov. 30, 2018, has acquitted Oric of committing atrocities during the 1992-95 Balkan conflict. He was accused of killing three Serb prisoners of war in villages around Srebrenica in the early days of the conflict. (AP Photo/Amel Emric, File)
November 30, 2018 - 4:17 am
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — A Bosnian appeals court has acquitted the wartime commander of Srebrenica who was accused of committing atrocities during the 1992-95 Balkan conflict. Naser Oric was accused of killing three Serb prisoners of war in villages around Srebrenica in the early days of...
Read More
In this photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, Khieu Samphan, foreground, former Khmer Rouge head of state, stands at thea dock in a court room during a hearing at the U.N.-backed war crimes tribunal in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Friday, Nov. 16, 2018. A U.N.-backed tribunal in Cambodia on Friday convicted the two most senior surviving leaders of the country's former Khmer Rouge regime of genocide and other crimes against humanity, sentencing them to life in prison. (Nhet Sok Heng/Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia via AP)
November 17, 2018 - 1:23 am
BANGKOK (AP) — After spending nine years and more than $300 million to prosecute leaders of Cambodia's Khmer Rouge responsible for the deaths of 1.7 million of their countrymen, a U.N.-assisted tribunal has ended up convicting only three people for the communist group's heinous actions. Was it...
Read More
In this photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia, Nuon Chea, who was the Khmer Rouge's chief ideologist and No. 2 leader, sits in a court room before a hearing at the U.N.-backed war crimes tribunal in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Friday, Nov. 16, 2018. The international tribunal to judge the criminal responsibility of former Khmer Rouge leaders for the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million Cambodians opened its session Friday to deliver its verdicts on charges of genocide and other crimes. (Mark Peters/Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia via AP)
November 16, 2018 - 3:41 am
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — The last surviving leaders of the Khmer Rouge regime that ruled Cambodia in the 1970s, when their reign of terror was responsible for the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million people, were convicted Friday by an international tribunal of genocide, crimes against humanity...
Read More

Pages