Statutes

The burned hull of the Conception is brought to the surface by a salvage team, Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, off Santa Cruz Island, Calif., in the Santa Barbara Channel in Southern California. The vessel burned and sank on Sept. 2, taking the lives of 34 people aboard. Five survived. (Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times via AP)
September 13, 2019 - 10:01 am
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Federal investigators identified a violation of Coast Guard regulations that could trigger criminal charges in the California dive boat disaster that killed 34 people. The National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday that all crew members on the boat Conception were asleep...
Read More
The burned hull of the Conception is brought to the surface by a salvage team, Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, off Santa Cruz Island, Calif., in the Santa Barbara Channel in Southern California. The vessel burned and sank on Sept. 2, taking the lives of 34 people aboard. Five survived. (Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times via AP)
September 12, 2019 - 3:36 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — All six crew members were asleep aboard a scuba diving boat off the Southern California coast — in violation of Coast Guard rules — when a fire broke out in the middle of the night, killing 34 people who were trapped in a bunkroom below the main deck, U.S. authorities said...
Read More
Authorities walk outside the Truth, a Truth Aquatics-owned dive boat, docked in the Santa Barbara Harbor in Santa Barbara, Calif., Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. Authorities served search warrants Sunday at the Southern California company that owned the scuba diving boat that caught fire and killed 34 people last week. (AP Photo/ Christian Monterrosa)
AP News
September 09, 2019 - 3:47 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — U.S. authorities are conducting a criminal investigation into the fiery dive boat disaster that killed 34 people off the coast of California, the FBI said Monday. The FBI, Coast Guard and U.S. attorney in Los Angeles are participating in the investigation with other agencies,...
Read More
In this Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2019 photo, Greg Hunt holds a school photo of himself in St. Petersburg, Fla. Attorneys for victims from around the country of alleged childhood sex abuse by Boy Scout officials say they are preparing to sue the organization in New Jersey when the state's new civil statute of limitations goes into effect. Hunt, 62, is planning to be on the suit in New Jersey. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara)
August 29, 2019 - 10:15 pm
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — The Boy Scouts of America is facing a growing threat from a wave of lawsuits filed over decades-old allegations of sexual abuse. The Scouts have been hit with multiple lawsuits filed in several states by purported abuse victims, including plaintiffs taking advantage of new...
Read More
A view of the Grace 1 supertanker in the British territory of Gibraltar, Friday, Aug. 16, 2019 as a sail boat passes by. The lawyer representing the captain of the Iranian supertanker caught in a diplomatic standoff said Friday that the captain no longer wants to be in command of the ship, which is in need of repairs that could prevent its immediate departure from Gibraltar.(AP Photo/Marcos Moreno)
August 16, 2019 - 3:40 pm
MADRID (AP) — The latest on Iranian supertanker at center of Persian Gulf tensions (all times local): 12:35 a.m. The U.S. government says it has a warrant to seize an oil tanker at the center of a diplomatic standoff because of violations of U.S. sanctions, money laundering and terrorism statutes...
Read More
In this Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2019 photo, Brian Toale shows a photo of himself at 16 years old in New York. Thousands of people who say they were molested as children in New York state will head to court this week to file lawsuits against their alleged abusers and the institutions where they worked. Toale, 66, who says he was molested by an employee at a Catholic high school he attended on Long Island, was one of the leaders in the fight to pass the Child Victims Act. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
August 14, 2019 - 4:50 pm
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The Roman Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts, schools and hospitals, the late financier Jeffrey Epstein are some of the targets named in a flurry of sex abuse lawsuits filed Wednesday in New York as the state began accepting cases once blocked by the statute of limitations...
Read More
In this Wednesday, Aug. 7, 2019 photo, Brian Toale shows a photo of himself at 16 years old in New York. Thousands of people who say they were molested as children in New York state will head to court this week to file lawsuits against their alleged abusers and the institutions where they worked. Toale, 66, who says he was molested by an employee at a Catholic high school he attended on Long Island, was one of the leaders in the fight to pass the Child Victims Act. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
August 13, 2019 - 9:02 pm
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Thousands of people who say they were molested as children in New York state plan to file lawsuits this week against their alleged abusers and the institutions where they worked. The Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts, public schools and hospitals are among the many institutions...
Read More
FILE - In this March 22, 1963, file photo, Nobel prize-winning author John Steinbeck, right, admires a prize-winning poster by his son, Thomas Steinbeck in Hartford, Conn. A three-judge panel of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will be in Alaska's largest city on Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2019, to hear arguments in an appeal by the estate of Steinbeck's late son, Thomas Steinbeck, over a 2017 ruling in California. In that case, a federal jury awarded the author's stepdaughter Waverly Scott Kaffaga, more than $13 million in a lawsuit claiming Steinbeck's son and daughter-in-law impeded film adaptations of the iconic works. (AP Photo, File)
August 05, 2019 - 11:14 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Another chapter is set to play out this week in a decades-old family dispute over control of the classic works by author John Steinbeck. A three-judge panel of the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals will be in Alaska's largest city on Tuesday to hear arguments in an appeal...
Read More
Gwen Carr, mother of chokehold victim Eric Garner, left, speaks outside the U.S. Attorney's office, in the Brooklyn borough of New York, as Garner's widow Esaw Snipes listens at right, Tuesday, July 16, 2019. Federal prosecutors won't bring civil rights charges against New York City police officer Daniel Pantaleo, in the 2014 chokehold death of Garner, a decision made by Attorney General William Barr and announced one day before the five-year anniversary of his death, officials said. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
July 16, 2019 - 3:44 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — After years of silence, federal prosecutors said Tuesday that they won't bring criminal charges against a white New York City police officer in the 2014 chokehold death of Eric Garner, a black man whose dying words — "I can't breathe" — became a national rallying cry against police...
Read More
July 15, 2019 - 4:43 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Time is running out for federal prosecutors to take action in the 2014 death of Eric Garner, the unarmed black man heard on video crying "I can't breathe" after a white New York City police officer put him in an apparent chokehold. The U.S. Justice Department faces a deadline...
Read More

Pages