Court decisions

In this Jan. 7, 2019 photo, The Supreme Court is seen in Washington,. The Supreme Court is allowing the Trump administration to go ahead with its plan to restrict military service by transgender men and women while court challenges continue. The high court on Tuesday reversed lower-court orders preventing the Pentagon from implementing its plans. The high court for now declined to take up cases about the plan. The cases will continue to move through lower courts. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
January 22, 2019 - 9:42 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A sharply divided Supreme Court is allowing the Trump administration to go ahead with its plan to restrict military service by transgender men and women while court challenges continue. The high court split 5-4 on Tuesday in issuing orders allowing the plan to take effect for now...
Read More
January 22, 2019 - 9:41 pm
GREENBELT, Md. (AP) — A federal trial began Tuesday for lawsuits challenging the Trump administration's addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 census, a plan that a different court blocked last week. Former U.S. Census Bureau director John Thompson, the first plaintiffs' witness for the...
Read More
January 22, 2019 - 6:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A state judge on Tuesday struck down Iowa's restrictive "fetal heartbeat" abortion law, which would have been the most restrictive anti-abortion law in the nation. Judge Michael Huppert found the law unconstitutional, concluding that the Iowa Supreme Court's earlier...
Read More
January 22, 2019 - 1:08 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration says it will appeal directly to the Supreme Court to be allowed to include a citizenship question on the 2020 census, bypassing the court of appeals and seeking a final ruling by the end of June. Solicitor General Noel Francisco says in court papers filed...
Read More
FILE - In this April 25, 2016, file photo, then Renault-Nissan's CEO Carlos Ghosn speaks during a press conference held at Auto China 2016 in Beijing, China. A court in Tokyo on Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019 rejected former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn’s latest request for bail, made more than two months after his arrest, prolonging a detention that has brought Japan’s harsh justice system under international scrutiny. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan, File)
January 21, 2019 - 10:06 pm
TOKYO (AP) — A Tokyo court has rejected former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn's latest request for bail, more than two months after his arrest, prolonging a detention that has drawn international scrutiny of Japan's justice system. The decision by the Tokyo District Court came a day after Ghosn...
Read More
FILE - In this file photo dated Saturday, May 13, 2017, Lulzim Basha, Leader of Albania's main opposition Democratic Party speaks to supporters during a protest to demand a caretaker cabinet to take the country to the June 18 parliamentary election. An Albanian court on Monday Jan. 21, 2019, has convicted Lulzim Basha of defamation over drug-related allegations he made against a senior governing lawmaker. (AP Photo/Hektor Pustina, FILE)
January 21, 2019 - 9:07 am
TIRANA, Albania (AP) — An Albanian court has convicted the main opposition Democratic Party leader of defamation over drug-related allegations he made against a senior governing lawmaker. Democratic leader Lulzim Basha was fined 50,000 lek ($455) in a ruling by a Tirana district court judge on...
Read More
January 18, 2019 - 8:57 pm
PHOENIX (AP) — A federal judge has found four women guilty of entering a national wildlife refuge without a permit as they sought to place food and water in the Arizona desert for migrants. U.S. Magistrate Judge Bernardo Velasco's ruling Friday marked the first conviction against humanitarian aid...
Read More
January 18, 2019 - 8:08 pm
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A jury has found a former Utah State University football player guilty of sexually assaulting six women while he was in college. The jury convicted 25-year-old Torrey Green of five counts of rape, one charge of object rape, a count of forcible sexual abuse and one charge of...
Read More
Former Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke attends his sentencing hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building, Friday, Jan. 18, 2019, in Chicago, for the 2014 shooting of Laquan McDonald. (Antonio Perez/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool)
January 18, 2019 - 6:15 pm
CHICAGO (AP) — The white Chicago officer who gunned down a black teenager in 2014 was sentenced Friday to nearly seven years in prison, ending an explosive case that arose from a graphic dashcam video and added fuel to debates about race and policing and law enforcement's "code of silence." Jason...
Read More
Former Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke reads a statement at his sentencing hearing at the Leighton Criminal Court Building Friday, Jan. 18, 2019 in Chicago, for the 2014 shooting of Laquan McDonald. (Antonio Perez/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool)
January 18, 2019 - 5:13 pm
CHICAGO (AP) — The Latest on the sentencing of the Chicago police officer who fired the shots that killed black teenager Laquan McDonald (all times local): 7:15 p.m. Laquan McDonald's great-uncle says that although it's a partial victory that the former Chicago police officer who killed the black...
Read More

Pages