Boat accidents

FILE - In this Sept. 2, 2019, file photo, provided by the Ventura County Fire Department, VCFD firefighters respond to a boat fire off the coast of southern California. A crewman injured in the fire that killed 34 people aboard a dive boat off Southern California has sued the boat owner and the company that chartered the vessel. Ryan Sims filed the lawsuit last week in Ventura County Superior Court saying the Conception dive boat was unseaworthy and operated in an unsafe manner. (Ventura County Fire Department via AP, File)
September 19, 2019 - 7:18 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A crewman injured while escaping the fire that killed 34 people aboard a dive boat off Southern California sued the vessel's owner and the company that chartered it. Ryan Sims filed the lawsuit last week in Ventura County Superior Court saying the boat was unseaworthy and...
Read More
This image provided by firefighters shows the wreckage of a racing boat that allegedly smashed into a dam at the entrance of the Venice laguna, Italy, late Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019. Firefighters said one of the men on board was thrown off the boat and was taken to the hospital, the bodies of the three others were found by scuba-divers inside the cabin. According to the Italian news agency ANSA, the men were attempting to break the racing boat record for Monte Carlo to Venice and among the dead was 76-year-old Italian boat racing pilot Fabio Buzzi. (Italian Firefighters via AP)
September 18, 2019 - 11:50 am
ROME (AP) — Three sportsmen trying to set a new speedboat record were killed when their vessel crashed into a breakwater offshore the lagoon city of Venice and flipped over, firefighters said Wednesday. A fourth person, the sole survivor of the Tuesday crash, was badly injured, according to...
Read More
The burned hull of the Conception is brought to the surface by a salvage team, Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, off Santa Cruz Island, Calif., in the Santa Barbara Channel in Southern California. The vessel burned and sank on Sept. 2, taking the lives of 34 people aboard. Five survived. (Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times via AP)
September 13, 2019 - 10:01 am
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Federal investigators identified a violation of Coast Guard regulations that could trigger criminal charges in the California dive boat disaster that killed 34 people. The National Transportation Safety Board said Thursday that all crew members on the boat Conception were asleep...
Read More
This photo from video provided by KABC-TV shows divers resuming their search for the final missing victim who perished in a boat fire off the Southern California coast Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2019. The victim is one of 34 who died at sea last week near Santa Cruz Island when the dive boat Conception burned and sank on Sept. 2. Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Lt. Erik Raney says salvage efforts to recover the Conception also resumed Wednesday. (KABC-TV via AP)
September 12, 2019 - 4:13 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on a fatal boat fire that killed 34 people off the coast of Southern California (all times local): 4:15 p.m. The family of a Southern California man among the 34 killed in a pre-dawn boat fire says they're greatly disturbed that no one from the crew was keeping watch...
Read More
The burned hull of the Conception is brought to the surface by a salvage team, Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, off Santa Cruz Island, Calif., in the Santa Barbara Channel in Southern California. The vessel burned and sank on Sept. 2, taking the lives of 34 people aboard. Five survived. (Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times via AP)
September 12, 2019 - 3:36 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — All six crew members were asleep aboard a scuba diving boat off the Southern California coast — in violation of Coast Guard rules — when a fire broke out in the middle of the night, killing 34 people who were trapped in a bunkroom below the main deck, U.S. authorities said...
Read More
Authorities walk outside the Truth, a Truth Aquatics-owned dive boat, docked in the Santa Barbara Harbor in Santa Barbara, Calif., Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. Authorities served search warrants Sunday at the Southern California company that owned the scuba diving boat that caught fire and killed 34 people last week. (AP Photo/ Christian Monterrosa)
AP News
September 09, 2019 - 3:47 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — U.S. authorities are conducting a criminal investigation into the fiery dive boat disaster that killed 34 people off the coast of California, the FBI said Monday. The FBI, Coast Guard and U.S. attorney in Los Angeles are participating in the investigation with other agencies,...
Read More
Red crime scene tape is placed by a memorial for the victims of the Conception dive boat fire on the Santa Barbara Harbor, as authorities issue a search warrant for the Truth Aquatics' offices on the Santa Barbara Harbor in Santa Barbara, Calif., Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. (AP Photo/ Christian Monterrosa)
AP News
September 08, 2019 - 7:20 pm
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities served search warrants Sunday at the Southern California company that owned the scuba diving boat that caught fire and killed 34 people last week. Agents with the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and other agencies searched Truth...
Read More
This June 2018 photo provided by Rob McClelland shows Allie Kurtz aboard a sailboat. Kurtz, a 26-year-old scuba diving boat crewmember who loved the ocean and had just landed her dream job, is among multiple victims of a deadly fire that torched a dive boat off Southern California's coast, her family said on Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2019. Kurtz recently left a job in movie promotion with Paramount to follow her heart and work on the sea, said her grandmother, Doris Lapporte. (Rob McClelland via AP)
September 04, 2019 - 10:52 pm
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) — Allie Kurtz gave up a job in the movie industry to live her dream of working on the water, and when she landed a job as deckhand on a scuba diving boat, she was thrilled. She was on that boat, the Conception, when it caught fire and sank, the only crew member among the...
Read More
FBI investigators unload equipment to begin examining evidence obtained from the wreckage of the dive boat Conception on Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2019, in Santa Barbara, Calif. A fire raged through the boat carrying recreational scuba divers anchored near an island off the Southern California Coast on Monday, Sept. 2, leaving multiple people dead. (AP Photo/Christian Monterrosa)
AP News
September 04, 2019 - 5:48 pm
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) — Only one person remained missing Wednesday after searchers recovered 33 bodies from the charred underwater wreckage of a dive boat that caught fire off the Southern California coast and sank on Labor Day. Among the victims were an engineer for Apple who went on the trip...
Read More
Authorities cart away evidence taken from the scuba boat Conception in Santa Barbara Harbor at the end of their second day searching for the remaining divers on Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019, in Santa Barbara, Calif. High school students, a science teacher and his daughter, an adventurous marine biologist and a family of five celebrating a birthday are among those presumed to have died when fire tore through a scuba diving boat off the Southern California coast Monday, trapping dozens of sleeping people below deck. (AP Photo/Christian Monterrosa)
September 03, 2019 - 10:57 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Officials vowed to find what sparked the inferno aboard the dive boat Conception that killed 34 people in waters off Southern California but vital evidence may have gone down with the ship or drifted out to sea. The main piece of evidence, the charred remains of the boat, rests...
Read More

Pages