San Jose Fire Department

35 Hospitalized After Deadly Gas Created at Swim Club

June 14, 2018 - 2:12 pm
Categories: 

SAN JOSE (KCBS Radio) - Thirty-five people were taken to hospitals Thursday afternoon from a San Jose swim club after a technician mixed two pool chemicals, creating a deadly gas, fire officials said. 

The incident was reported at about 12:10 p.m. at Shadow Brook Swim Club, located at 1079 Shadow Brook Drive off of Almaden Expressway, according to Santa Clara County Fire Capt. Bill Murphy.

The gas caused swimmers to report nausea, vomiting, trouble breathing and other symptoms, Murphy said.

San Jose fire Capt. Mitch Matlow said exposure to the gas can cause death and some people could die at the hospital. 

But as of 10:44 p.m. Thursday fire officials had not reported any deaths. 

Matlow said a pool technician mixed muriatic acid and chlorine, which created a "visibly yellow" gas, which went across the pool and pool deck. 

After crews responded, each of the 35 people were decontaminated, stripped and given clean clothes before being transported to hospitals. 

Matlow said they were going to be observed for a few hours to see whether they developed symptoms that could cause death. 

If not they were going to be sent home. 

The pool's owner has hired an environmental contractor to clean up and make the pool area safe. 

The victims were children and adults, Matlow said.

© Copyright 2018 Entercom 2018 All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

__________________

Dozens Injured At South San Jose Pool

Ten ambulances responded to a public pool in South San Jose Thursday afternoon following an accident involving chemicals.  KCBS Radio's Mike Colgan reported from the scene.